Beiträge von jzz

Thanks Martin,
    I saw that, but how can I take individual pipes to single channels?
    If I try to produce mono channels, using L and R from a group as different channels, I still only see basic groups, i.e. half what I hope for!
    Sadly there is much I don't understand about this great software system, so am I just failing to click somewhere...... :D :D :D
    As an aside, if I have two sound cards running (Delta Audiophile An Delta 44) I get a "not supported" warning, but it then works anyway! Any comments?
    Regards,
    JRC

I have noticed that HW offers an option for audio distribution which, if i've got it right, sets up audio distribution such that the effect of feeding similar stop notes through a particular channel is minimised. I have noticed that with GO, and indeed the "non-advanced" version of HW the electronic transient nulling of a particular note can be objectionable, though I have found the same problem to exist on some expensive organs, which obviously I should not name.
    The problem arises because while two electrical signals can effectively null or reinforce each other, when the same signals are fed through different speakers the nulling is incomplete due to multi-path accoustic effects.
    I am having difficulty seeing how to use GO to do 'ambitious' routing, such as:
    imagine a 4 channel set-up, ignoring pedals, for 8' distribution-
    channel A takes Diapason C
    channel B takes Diapason C# and Open Diapason C
    Channel C takes Diapason D, and Open Diapason C# and Flute C
    Channel D takes Diapason D#, Open Diapason D, Flute C#, and Geigen C
    Channel A takes Diapason E .......................etc., going round and round till all are placed.
    Then do something similar for 4' and 16' etc.

Hopefully this gives the picture of what I am looking at.

Am I expecting too much of GO????? Or is it possible to modify in such a way as to permit this, even if it has to be done tediously, manually?

Regardless, I still think GO is pretty good, many thanks all the people who have done the hard work.
    JRC

I've had GO live on a usb stick running nicely, but I've added some other sample sets, and have been able to run them instead of the simple set included for GO live.
    Haven't had enough time to follow up properly yet, (Easter services and choir rehearsals etc!), but I tried plugging same usb stick to a different machine and it didn't quite boot correctly, so I need to sort that out!
    However, I think it's promising..
    Thanks to all the people putting the work in!
    JZZ

Are you expecting to fully 'voice' the organ? i.e. do you want to set the whole thing so every stop sounds like you want it, and is 'progressive'? My experience in this is limited, but I would start by setting the LOUDEST stop to sound to your satisfaction. Then the second loudest, and so on. Do bear in mind that once you have a crowd of people in the hall/church the apparent volume can be damped down A LOT! On the other hand, you may want some stops sufficiently soft to allow you to play quiet background music sometimes in a nearly empty church.
    I would suggest that as you proceed, you save your work as "presets" at regular intervals, so that when you make a mistake you can fall back to a previous known acceptable state!
    It may be worth saving some presets with just the 'foundation stops' set up first and trying them before you go to the bother of doing the lot.
    At least the procedure with GO is less time consuming than doing it for a real pipe organ, especially because there is no 'fallback' for a pipe organ.
    As far as deciding the best level overall is concerned, I think personal choice and your choir and congregation all matter. My own preference is that for congregation singing I want to sound above them so I can control the singing, for choir the voices should usually predominate, and for voluntaries it's your own decisions.
    Have fun!
    John

Hi Simon
    If you have multi-channels available from your sound card, you can route any stop or set of stops to any channel. It's a bit fiddly, (I think!) but there is a download of an instruction manual which goes through the details.
    One of the most spectacular effects I found was to put the celeste on a separate channel. You can also "spread" the sound by alternating notes between speaker channels, eg C goes to Left, C# to Right, D Left..... etc. Unless there is something I have missed you have to do this for every note on every stop you need, which is quite tedious, but the end result is good.
    I haven't been using this long either, so I find I keep repeating my mistakes!
    I am using the M-Audio Delta series cards, which seem to be very good, but I haven't tried multi channel using the on-board sound chipset, because on my machine that is a bit noisy. I get a warning that GO doesn't support more than one card, but I think it still works in my case because both cards use the same drivers.
    I think GO is better than HW, because it seems to handle larger sample sets more easily, but that's just my opinion.
    Have fun!
    john.

Thanks Martin, that's a good starting point. I've got it working on a laptop, using the onboard soundcard, but I haven't yet managed to get the drivers sorted out on my desktop for the M-Audio Delta series cards. I know it's the Envy24 , but I haven't got it sorted yet.

As an aside though, when I try to add more channels, (on a windows machine) using a second card, I get the 'not supported' warning, but then it goes and works anyway. the thought crossed my mind that this may be because the cards are nearly identical. Any comments?
    JZZ

Hi, this is an interesting item!
    I too am a recent addition to the GO fold, and have been playing with other organ consoles. A problem I have found is that I cannot work out how to operate the stops AND the pistons of GO via the organ console (in this case an old Wyvern, and a not so old Makin). If I set up the stops, no problem. If I then set up the pistons to use the settings on the GO app, the piston settings on the console do their own selection, and fight with the GO selections.
    The only solution I have at present is to NOT set the GO pistons, but use the organ console pistons to set the newly acquired GO stops. This unfortunately means resetting them all back if I then wish to use the original organ!
    This of course won't matter once I have enough confidence to leave the GO system as the 'Live' system, but until then....... :( :( :(

PS If anyone else is trying to use a Wyvern console, for unknown reasons some of them have the MIDI polarity REVERSED. You have to make yourself a new MIDI lead with the connections crossed over.
    jzz

Hi there,
    I'm a newbie really as far as GO goes, but plenty experience with electronic organs, and one general rule you can follow is use as many sound channels as you can get, and split the stops around them. The effect on chorusing is quite substantial - an easy demo of this is to compare the sound from for instance a Lieblich and a Vox Humana style stop when they are mixed onto one speaker and when they are on individual channels.
    It's also worth putting a lot of the 16' pitches onto their own channels.
    Good luck, have fun!
    Jzz

Hi Folks.
    I heard about, & tried HW first, and found GO while I was digging for info on HW sets. (Free ones of course!) I've played with both for a few months, and prefer GO, basically because it accepts any size set, while HW is limited to about 2G unless you part with oodles of cash! I've tried this in our church (I am principal organist, and responsible for upkeep of our electronic organs.) It works very well, when driven with an old Wyvern machine, once I discovered that for some inexplicable reason they had inverted the MIDI polarity! (Used an oscilloscope to sort that out!)
    At present I've only used the windows versions, but I've tried the GO live linux version as well. The problem with linux is that I'm using the M-Audio Delta sound cards, and the drivers don't appear to be on that version. (I think its 'Envy24' that's needed?) It worked very well on an old laptop though, and, interestingly, through the HDMI output on my main machine.
    I've played with Burea and Pitea and St Annes on windows HW, but I like the extended Burea on GO.
    However, I think I need to get GO running on linux before I could use it live in church. Comments?
    trouble is though, although I do use linux quite a lot (PCLinuxOS), I'm not very familiar with installing things not in the repository, so I'll be hoping for lots of help :) :) :)
    Regards to all.