Beiträge von kenneth

Hi everyone:

I'm having trouble with GO keeping track of my expression Bx controller. It is running thru an encoder that is connected via USB. It seems there are multiple encoders numbered in the listed in the Midi devices menu, but in reality there is only one. If I uncheck the extra ones, then I can't detect the expresion shoe. GO seems to pick one, and then can't decide if it wants to use it.

Also, what is the element "controller No." next to the channel menu on the enclosure detection menu? A value of "7" has appeared there. I have no idea what it is referring to. If I change it to correspond to the encoder #, nothing works. Using ASIO version 2171 on Win 7pro. Thanks, Ken Barta krbar@verizon.net

Hi All:
    After many years of playing GO, I eventually have discovered the following:
    1:s/buffer setting lower than 1024 results in the CR not working.
    2. s/buffer setting at 1024 (max) there is a an electronic popping as the key is depressed, but the CR works.
    3. s/buffer setting at 512, the popping stops, but the CR stops working.
    4. I'm using large sample set OMNI, but I've noticed this in small sets also.(1-3 are true)
    5. What kind of conflict is going on between s/buffer, keying, and the CRev. I've tried Lars' IRs, but no difference.
    6. I'm using GOvers 2171ASIO on Win7pro, multichannel speakers. These is no CPU overload. RAM is 8gig
    Can someone please resolve this. Would like to have clean keying with a good reverb.
    Thanks, Ken Barta krbar@verizon.net

I don't test NON-ASIO versions because I can't utilize features of EMU1212 sound card unless I'm on ASIO.
    I'm stuck with wave-only output, and can't utilize channels, either. Yes, the MIDI interfaces are listed---but they are not recognized---I can't connect the keyboards. Why are versions of GO issued without being tested for complete compatibility? Version 1726 always works.

Hi; It depends what kind of music you're interested in.
    If you want to play the baroque school, then there
    are many small organs to choose from and they
    don't required too much RAM. I can only speak
    for Windows---7 pro 64bit is best. If you want something
    grander or bigger, then you need at least 8Gig RAM.
    There are several sample sets converted from Hauptwerk
    to GO, but they take a lot of RAM. If you go to some of the
    AGO extended samples available for Grand Orgue, then
    the 8 gig RAM will work. Just depends on what you want to
    play. If you have a Viscount, then I assume you will not
    be playing through headphones, so you need speakers and
    an amp for the main output, and possibly a powered subwoofer.
    I use generic, over the internet, usb/MIDI cables that about $5-6 each.
    Are in you in the US or Europe? Michael will probably have some ideas, also.
    If you are a proficient player, you may want to consider OMNI when it
    is put on this website. All the best, Ken Barta

Yes, big file, about 6-7 gigs unzipped. But worth it.
    Even an organ half this size with Hauptwerk is bigger.
    It will load and play in full on 8 gigs RAM

Mikelectric, please give it a look and help this along.

Ken

This is simple. There are 10 pistons. What you call the sequencer is 100 memory banks of 10.
    When you set registrations for 10 pistons in memory 1-10, and then advance to the next 10
    (11-20) or the next decade bank, the first bank 1-10 is overwritten. So maybe in fact the other
    99 memory banks of 10 don't exist, or there is an error in the odf. You have to check if the combinations remain intact. Your testing is faulty. This is supposed to be an exact copy of the floating panel which does work. But this built-in version does not. The ABC memory banks do work exactly as I describe, but there are only 10. The same piston and memory bank arrangement that works on the extended AGO version of Burea church. THE MEMORY BANKS NEED TO WORK.
    The overall gain adjustment, at least on my equipment, has to be set at -75, because with 70% of the organ playing, the summing buss or overall gain indicator will overload and the sound will distort.
    You will notice that the voicing for most of the stops has been increased, while the overall gain has been
    decreased. It seems to act like a water pipe. The larger the pipe, the more combined sound can pass. OMNI is a very large VPO, and it has just worked out this way. If you can figure another way to lower distortion, it would be nice.

The enclosures work just fine, but I would rather have a thermometer type like Graham's Barton organ.

This organ requires a principal 32', so someone should gain the permission to use, or find or make a substitution.

Everybody should try OMNI I haven't heard form Mikelectric whether he is interested in posting to this website because of the mechanics involved.
    A pretty big file. He or some others should test it out first.
    This is a large multi-purpose organ. It fills a very big gap between
    all the small, mostly baroque organs that are available.

As for the combination action, Graham didn't have time to finish it. It was supposed to have decade memory like the GO floating panel and some other organs offered. But if you move to the next decade, it overwrites, etc. There is a 10-ABC memory that works, but it is not quite enough. There are only 10 generals. Nothing else.

The thumping is a left-over problem from earlier versions of GO. It mostly affects the bass on the manuals.
    That is 16 stops. It is random with releases, I think. I can't isolate or tell you more than that. It sounds like someone has turned on a high load in the house. Graham seems to know what it is.

We don't need an undo function. It is very difficult to keep up with saving. Hauptwerk does it automatically
    In addition to the other problems, GO version 1726 crashes randomly from time to time, and I lose piston changes and voicing changes, if I don't constantly save. In any case, when you change pistons on a pipe organ equipped with capture combination action, it is saved and done. Why should GO be any different?

I'm using an EMU 1212sound card with ASIO. It DOESN"T hang with v1726, but it does with 1919. I'll try the newer version now released. That is, when I attempt to make changes to audio, etc, I can't close the dialogue box. It won't accept the ok button. So I can't even set up an organ. This is not a old config file problem either. I've erased them whenever I try a new version. Why doesn't the GO software make a clean
    install, anyway?

Setting up a stand alone convolution reverb is rather difficult for me, at least, to understand. It involves three other programs that need to be connected or set up to handshake. I simply don't know how to make it all work. The resident IR reverb is okay, but it always has to be okayed when I open the organ, otherwise there is a 1 second delay in keying. And if I stop playing for 10 seconds or so, and change pistons or pieces to play, the first note or chord sounds with a sudden burst. Don't have that without the reverb.

So maybe fussy me, but there are legitimate problems. Someone who works with GO source code has to fix them.

I don't know how non ASIO sound is affected because my setup is involved for the sound system, etc. I play this OMNI organ 6-8 hours or more a day, so it is heavily used. It is not a novelty or toy to me, but a real musical instrument. I've been playing OMNI for about a year, and its predecessor, Grahams' enlarged "AGO" version of the Burea Church for about 2 years.

Because the sound files are smaller than Hauptwerk, OMNI fits on smaller RAM computers. So you can
    have a substantial instrument without overflowing the RAM. An instrument this size would take up an enormous amount of RAM---probably 45 -64 Gigs in Hauptwerk.

I'll post a Dropbox link to a screen shot of OMNI. This forum says the file is too large.

1) I heard about GO from Graham Goode
    2) Have been using for about 3 years
    3) I use mostly GO
    4) I'm using a AMD computer, 4-core, 8 gig RAM running at 3.2gh
    The program is Windows 7 pro 64 bit
    The keyboards are Yamaha 220s extracted from the outer case
    and connected via MIDI/USB cables to USB ports
    The keyboards are directly connected. The pedal board is a used Rodgers. It and the pistons/swells
    are controlled by John Kinkennon's midi relay interface with Dout and Din boards from Midibotique
    The soundcard is an EMU1212. and is connected to an 100 watt Onkyo stereo receiver by ADAT. The
    sound system is Cambridge speakers with a Dayton Audio 250watt subwoofer with a 15 inch dual coil
    speaker
    5) I'm playing with a custom organ put together by Graham Goode and myself from 4 organs of GO samples
    There are 4 divisions plus pedal. Gt, Sw, Pos, Solo. There are about 100 stops. The samples sets are
    from 4 GO organs: Burea Church, Kalvtrask Church, Pitea School, Barton Theater organ.
    The name of this custom organ is OMNI. This is similar to the Augustine's organ sets, but they don't
    include the Barton as Omni does. This rather large organ fits into an 8 gig RAM. Would never work with
    Hauptwerk---too large
    6) I'm always looking for certain stops to enhance OMNI, but it is pretty good the way it is.
    7) Grand Orgue is amazing for what it does, but their are problems with it. It doesn't get the attention
    it should. The OMNI organ combination action is not totally functional. And there are random thumping
    sounds, mostly bass, that get in the act.
    8) It would be nice if future versions of Grand Orgue had old bugs fixed, especially auto-save. It would be
    nice if the latest versions worked flawless, but they don't. I'm using version 1726 because the newer
    ones have bugs, and will not allow me to OK certain menu selections, or some other problems. There
    should also be a resident Convolution reverb with Jack backend built in. The resident IR reverb isn't bad,
    but it has some keying problems.

The OMNI sample collection is eclectic or universal, and can play almost anything, including transcriptions. It is, of couse, not a baroque organ, but it does play Bach pretty well. There are of course, numerous baroque organs available, so that's not a problem.