Audio Interface for Grand Orgue linux

• I finished my grandorgue setup on Archlinux, and I am very happy with the software. However, I feel like I am getting mad with the latency, which is probably due to my integrated soundcard that can't handle less than 256 frames per buffer, ending up with about 20 ms of latency (which definitively feels like more). Or maybe is it my cheap usb keyboard ? Or my cheap midi interface for my 100% homemade pedalboard.

Anyway, I think I need an audio midi interface in order to have no latency (do I ? are there optimizations I could do to avoid buying one) Could you please recommend me a cheap one compatible with linux ? (I am quite broke, hence why I made the pedalboard myself from wooden planks).

Here is my config = Archlinux, intelcore i7 960, asus sabertooth x58 motherboard, 8 gigs of ram.

Thank you very much for your help !

• When using GrandOrgue directly on alsa, with 128 frames per buffer according to grandorgue, I get 10ms of latency, no matter the desred latency I put in (I wonder if it actually has any influence)

When plugging grandorgue through jack, I can't do it with less than 512 frames per buffer without getting a RT Api stream closed error from grandorgue, and with 512 frames jack tells me I have around 17ms of latency.

I'm not using any reverbs, I am even using the demo samples and piano samples in order to track down latency. With other wetter samples, I feel that my latency + the latency of the wetter sample makes it unplayable.

I'm am used to the real instrument, I feel like I can't achieve piece as long as I don't have at least less than 5ms total latency, but I won't know since I don't have it.

• Playback-time of a 128 buffer @44.1kHz is 2.9 ms - and you need always at least two buffers, so 5.8ms is the technical minimum.

Playback-time of a 512 buffer @44.1kHz is 11.6 ms - and you need always at least two buffers, so 23.21ms is the technical minimum. The 17ms value of jack is incorrect. Either jack does not consider a second buffer, then you need at add at least 11.6 ms or its otherwise incorrect.

• I am ignorant about this. My GO LINUX System with 16gb and QuadCore uses ALSA and onboard built-in sound. Where do I find out these numbers for my system. Since I am not a genuine musician, I never am bothered by or aware of "latency" problems. Can someone enlighten me?

• Just noticed the place for latency is in Sound Output. My setting apparently defaulted to 50ms. In reading Martin's previous response, I could not theoretically ask fo lower than 47ms given that I have ALSA and 1024.